My First Experience Requesting Help

So far, all of the information I've found, as been done with my own two hands. I've done the research or gotten the information from family.

A couple of months ago, I reached out to a genealogy website I stumbled upon online for help locating some documents regarding our Revolutionary War soldier, Peter Simpson.  I've been having a difficult time locating any information about his time in the war and I've since learned that there was a fire and many of these older documents were lost. 

But, this particular organization (who will remain nameless, because at this time, I don't believe that there has been willful wrongdoing.) was able to find a couple of documents.

I had the ability to pay for copies to be sent to me and I sent a check along with the form they provided to request the copies.

After about a month and a half, the check still hadn't cleared my bank and I had not heard boo from them. I reached out...only to receive a sales-pitch type email back saying that I could request information and here was how to do it.

I wrote back saying that is exactly what I had done. To which I've received no satisfactory reply.

I'm disappointed and a little concerned, but I assume the check is lost.  I certainly don't want to pay $25 to cancel a $12 check.

Let this be a cautionary tale ~ definitely reach out for help and request documents you need for your research, but it might be worth it to stick with big name places, government offices, and local researchers with whom you can actually meet.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting Started Blogging Our Family Tree

Doing what I can with the United States

Starting Your Family Tree With What You Know