Getting Started Blogging Our Family Tree

Whew! This was not an easy task, deciding how to move forward with this part of my family tree project. Blog or website? Website or blog? To heck with it all and continue with the paper stacks I am optimistically calling a "filing system?"

I wasn't sure what the best platform would be to allow me to organize and share all the information I'm gathering. I was afraid to pull the trigger in either direction. Then it occurred to me that for a website, I would have to purchase a domain and pay for web hosting. That made the decision considerably easier.

The blog will largely be my process as I search for my family history. The ups, the downs, the good and the bad. Certainly anyone going through this process can relate to all of those things. Maybe (hopefully) some of you will have ideas and suggestions for working around the road blocks. Maybe I'll even be able to return the favor. 

I'll have separate pages for various family lines so that you only have to wade through as much or as little of the details as you care to. 

This is a tricky and time consuming undertaking, traveling through your family tree, looking for those shiny red apples. 

I'm also a writer, and as with that, Genealogy is largely a solitary occupation. I don't mean that in a bad way. Just that many hours are spent at your computer or in the local city hall or somewhere else, probably by yourself, searching for that one document that will provide another link in your ancestor's life. And when you find it, boy the celebration is real! 

If you aren't already on a family tree journey, maybe I'll be able to inspire you to start! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doing what I can with the United States

Starting Your Family Tree With What You Know